Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Test Results

Saw the diabetic nurse yesterday regarding last weeks blood test. Everything checked out except my HbA1c levels.

HbA1c (%) is the measurement of glycated haemoglobin (gHb or HbA1c or haemoglobin A1c) gives an idea of the overall levels of diabetes control over the past 2-3 months. It measures the amount of glucose (sugar) that has stuck to the red cells in your blood; the higher the sugar levels the more gets stuck to the cells. It is measured as a %. There is strong evidence for all types of diabetes that lowering the HbA1c to about 6-7% will reduce the risk of long term diabetic problems which can effect the eyes, kidneys, heart and nerve endings.

My HbA1c is currently 9.7% which is not so good and therefore the doctor wants to see me next week. I suspect he is going to up my diabetic meds. Even though I feel much *MUCH* better since I’ve starting eating right I still don’t feel 100%. Some days I feel extremely fatigued, so much so that I can hardly stand for any length of time. I have to keep reminding myself that it will take time to regain my health and that I can’t expect miracles to happen overnight. If I continue taking care of myself, eventually I will start to feel (and look) normal again.
The good news is when the nurse weighed me - late afternoon and fully clothed - I was 259 lbs. When I weighed myself - stark naked - yesterday morning my scales said 260. So, I guess I actually weigh less than I’ve been recording. But, for consistency, I’ll keep recording my weight according to my scales. She was very happy to see that I had lost 18 pounds since my visit to her on 18th of May. Blood pressure was down as well, so that’s good. She said I could skip going to the dietitian because after looking at my food/exercise/weight loss log she was satisfied I was doing everything right.

The best news of all is that I have a strong heart, kidneys and liver. No damage has been done because of my stupidity and gluttony for so many years. I am so thankful for this and I will never abuse my body ever again. It only takes a bit of effort and those who are overweight or obese should not wait until illness sets in to start a serious weight loss program.