Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Drastic Lifestyle Change...

…is right around the corner for me. Went to see the doctor and he sent me for a blood test. The results should be in by Thursday. He wasn’t surprised though that my blood sugar levels were high, considering diabetes runs in my immediate family. The food choices I’ve been making thus far have been good, but now, they have to be even better. Thank goodness there are some great artificial sweeteners out there because I’ll be cutting sugar completely from my diet. And, thank goodness my husband is very supportive. We’ve had a talk about how food preparation will have to change and he’s come up with some really good ideas. I don’t want to deprive him just because I cannot eat certain foods. Even if the blood test shows I’m not diabetic (but I seriously doubt that it will) I’ll still have to make this change.

So, for today, lunch was good. I had raw veggies along with that yogurt dip recipe I found. Had to kick it up a notch though, so I added chopped green onion, lots of freshly cracked black pepper, a dash of salt, a teaspoon of mayo and 100g of cottage cheese. Of course I didn’t eat all that in one go, there’s enough left over for a snack tonight. My water intake is low today because I had some errands to run but yesterday I drank 2.5 litres. Actually, I don’t drink a lot of water when I’m out because it makes me want to pee and a toilet is not always convenient. Sorry, too much information.

Oh well, I’m off to look for some good low-fat recipes.