Thursday, May 24, 2007

Another Goal...Another Pound

I’ve set another goal for myself, and that is to give up coffee. Yep, I’ve been a coffee drinker for a long, long time and now it’s time to stop.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The caffeine can’t be any good for my system and I know for certain it’s not good for my blood pressure. Who needs another complication? So, starting today, I’m only going to drink one mug of coffee in the morning instead of my usual two mugs. What I’d like to do is avoid the withdrawal symptoms by gradually weaning myself instead of going off coffee cold-turkey.

Food choices are good. So far this week, excluding Sunday, the numbers average like this:

  • calories = 1340
  • fat = 26(g)
  • carbs = 218(g)
  • protein = 61(g)

And the cool thing about all this is it includes snacks and I’m not starving! A kitchen scale comes in handy as well. What looks like a hundred grams (or whatever) is totally different when it is weighed. I suck at eyeballing portions so I have to weigh and measure. A good kitchen scale takes all the guess work out of planning my meals. Also, I have these little ramekins, and once I’ve weighed out 100 grams of cottage cheese, I know exactly how much 100 grams of cottage is without having to weigh it again. Hopefully, when I get the hang of my new eating habits, I’ll not have to weigh and measure my food as often.

On this regime, the blubber is falling off. I’ve always known what to do I just didn’t do it. Well, contracting diabetes has completely changed my way of thinking. I’m thankful I’ve not got heart disease, kidney disease, liver problems or some other uncontrollable malady. I can control this disease.

I want to live.