Thursday, June 21, 2007

Good Days

The past few days have been good days in that I’ve continued to make healthy food choices. Not feeling as well as I’d like but I suspect I need time to adjust to the meds.

The inlaws came in for the weekend and they are very supportive of my lifestyle changes. FIL also has diabetes so he understands why I turn down certain foods. MIL understands as well since it is she who manages FIL’s diabetes.

Anyway, we had a BBQ yesterday and I chose wisely. I do a home made BBQ sauce and I made a potato salad -potentially high fat -high calorie foods - but the BBQ sauce is spread thinly over the meat so that’s not too bad. The sauce for the potato salad was made with a smidgen of mayo and the rest with plain low-fat yogurt. We had lots of raw veggies available as well. So, I had a grilled chicken breast with BBQ sauce, about three tablespoons potato salad, lots of raw veg, corn-on-the-cob with a teaspoon of margarine and iced water. Not much considering how much I used to eat when we grilled out. Normally I would have skipped lunch - never a good thing to do - to save up for the following: a chicken breast, a hamburger, (and possibly a hot dog) loads of potato salad made with 100% mayo, corn smothered with butter, a couple sesame rolls all washed down with sugary iced tea or lemon ade. Oh, and I would have had a few glasses of wine before the meal!! Yep, that’s the way I used to eat. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket It’s no wonder I’m sitting here with type 2 diabetes. I’m surprised I’m not dead by now.

I’ve decided to set mini-goals for myself instead of the one huge goal as before. My weight loss goals are in 50 pound increments. If I’ve reached a specific goal (which I’ve not yet set) by Christmas, I’m going to reward myself with a digital SLR camera. Just another incentive to keep on track. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

TTFN.